The K-Lite Codec Pack is a free collection of codecs and related tools. Codec is short for Compressor-Decompressor. Codecs are needed for encoding and decoding (playing) audio and video. The very user-friendly installation is fully customizable, which means that you can install only those components that you really want.
There are three versions of the K-Lite Codec Pack: Basic, Standard, and Full. The Basic version contains everything you need to play all the common video file formats. It is small and easy to install. The Standard version contains a bit more than the Basic version, including additional decoders for rarer formats. And the Full version includes even more codecs and also includes some extra tools.
If you are not sure what to download, then just get the Basic version. It will play 99% of all movies and videos without any problems whatsoever.
This pack includes both 32-bit and 64-bit codecs.
- Jump to K-lite codec basic download page
- Back to k-lite codec download page
DirectShow video decoding filters:
- LAV Video [version 0.76.1-30-g2b1ea]
This decoder supports a large number of video formats.
- DirectShow audio decoding filters:
- LAV Audio [version 0.76.1-30-g2b1ea]
This decoder supports a large number of audio formats.
- DirectShow source filters:
- LAV Splitter [version 0.76.1-30-g2b1ea]
This splitter supports a large number of audio and video file formats.
- DirectShow subtitle filter:
- DirectVobSub (xy-VSFilter) [version 184.108.40.2066]
For displaying subtitles in WMP and other basic DirectShow players. It supports all common formats such as SRT, SSA/ASS, PGS, and VobSub.
Your subtitle file should have the same filename as your video file. It should also be in the same folder as your video file. Then the subtitles will automatically be loaded and displayed during playback.
Example: MovieName.avi + MovieName.srt
- Codec Tweak Tool [version 6.6.7]
- This tool is essential for the management of codecs and settings. It has many useful features such as:
- Detect and fix several common problems
- Reset settings
- Backup and restore settings
- Configure preferred splitters
- Enable/disable any of the installed codecs and filters
- Manage thumbnail settings
- Generate detailed log with system information and list of installed codecs
- Configure preferred decoders on Windows 7/8/10/11
- Tweaks to disable Media Foundation and certain other MS codecs on Windows 7/8/10/11
Explorer shell extensions:
- Icaros ThumbnailProvider [version 3.3.0 b3]
This shell extension is used for generating video thumbnails in Windows Explorer. It supports all common video formats.
- Icaros PropertyHandler [version 3.3.0 b3]
This shell extension allows displaying file properties such as duration, width, height, and framerate in Explorer. It supports several audio and video file formats, including: .mkv .mka .flv .oga .ogg .ogm .ogv .rm .rmvb .webm .webp .ape .flac .mpc .ofr .opus .spx .tak .tta .wv