I am having problems with avi files and am desperate for some help. I’ve had tried everything I can think of and am totally stumped. I’m completely gutted too because I can’t watch any avi files.
I have XP SP3 on a Sony Vaio AR21S. Used K-Lite Mega Codec pack and Media Player Classic for years with no problem.
Now all of a sudden my computer completely freezes when I watch any avi movie. The weirdest thing is the movie plays for around 5-10 minutes then completely freezes. I can CTR-ALT-DEL, but, task manager will not open. The only thing that works is holding down the power button which isn’t good for the comp.
I’ve tried all of the following:
1. Boot in safe mode but can’t play movies in that mode anyway
2. Ran antivirus/spam scans with Malwarebytes, Spywaredoctor, Ad-aware, Superantispyware & AVG; nothing found.
3. Boot in last known configuration, still happens.
4. Checked for errors on my hard drives
5. Tried booting with all usb devices removed
6. Tried watching with everything but the bare minimum running
7. Uninstall of all codecs and MPC and reinstall to latest versions
8. Used GSpot and codec_sniper.exe; both showed no broken codecs.
9. Reinstalled Direct X 9.0c
10. Checked for latest drivers for Graphics card (see note below on this).
11. Tried watching in VLC MP, exact same issue.
12. Ran regsvr32 -u shmedia.dll, even though no idea what it is but no effect
13. Ran a video test using Vaio hardware diagnostic tool, no errors found.
I’m watching on HD Telly using hdmi to hdmi, I’ve also tried watching with hdmi disconnected just through laptop monitor, same problem. I’ve also tried numerous avi files and checked there’s nothing wrong with them by watching on my dad’s laptop, they played no problem.
WRT Display Drivers; laptop has Nvidia Geforce Go 7600GT; I’ve been on Nvidia’s driver site and apparently they don’t support or supply drivers for cards on Sony Vaio laptops!I’ve checked Vaio update and it’s not showing any updated drivers and the card is not displaying any errors in device manager. I’ve no idea how to remove and reinstall the driver, it won’t let me rollback as it seems to be the original driver that came with the laptop so nothing to rollback to. I can see Nvidia Drivers' under Add/Remove programmes but I’m terrified to uninstall in case I can’t install again and I can’t find these particular drivers on any Sony Vaio site.
I’d be really grateful for any help. I’m totally gutted about this, can’t watch any movies :-(
The idea for the painting one sondeud weak, but the execution (and crowd) made it really funny. I wonder how many of the onlookers were agents, though. I think it may have been better to have him using actual white paint on a white canvas people would think he really was painting (because he was), and then when they saw the canvas, it would create some, oh I guess I just don’t get' art moments.