I have had the same problem here is a site i found that has the codec http://www.free-codecs.com/The_Codecs_download.htm
the file is from free-codecs.com and is called the codecs 3.0 after installing it i opend the movie in windows media player 10 and now i have video and sound. !ENJOY!
There right in the centre of the page you’ll see a download link.. That’s it .. clicking it’ll download and also open another window .. Let that not mislead you :-)
1. MKV Codec Pack (Single file)
2. The-Codec Pack (3 files : Download all at common folder and unrar 1st part)
3. XP-Codec-Pack_2.0.5 (3 files : Download all at common folder and unrar 1st part)
1. Use WinRAR to unzip/unrar URL :: http://rapidshare.com/files/4217845/WinRAR.zip
2. Install only 1 codec pack at a time. If you install multiple codec packs, some codecs might conflict.
i have downloaded the codecs and the movie plays fine but now my dvd writing software will not open, i have uninstaled the codecs and it opend fine but i cannot import the media because it says it needs decoding but when i install the codecs again i cannot use the writing software help!!!!!!!
C_H_R_I_S, in your situation, i would recommend re-encoding the file to a DivX or XviD (whichever is more compatible on your system) avi file, then use THAT file in your DVD prog. make sure you encode it at a high bitrate (2000 kbps or higher) or your file will lose quality noticably.